Connecting Windows XP to Wireless Network
Complete the following steps to set up your Windows XP SP3 computer to use the secure Catawba wireless connection.
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- On the left-hand side you should see a Switch to Classic
View link. Click on it.
If you do not see this link or you see the Switch to Category View link then you are already in the correct view.
- Once in Classic View, double-click on the icon for Administrative Tools.
- Double-click on Services.
- Scroll down to Wired AutoConfig and double-click on it.
- In the Wired AutoConfig Properties window make sure that Startup Type is set to Automatic. Under Service Status: click the Start button. If you are able to click on the Stop or Restart buttons, then the service is already started.
You may now close out of all open windows.
- Right-click on the Wireless icon
in the system tray.
- Click on View Available Wireless Networks.
- Click on Change Advanced Settings.
- Click on the Wireless Networks tab.
- In the "Preferred networks" section, click the Add... button.
- On the "Association" tab:
- Enter "catuskynet2" in the Network name (SSID) field
- Select "WPA2" in the Network Authentication field
- Verify that "AES" displays in the Data encryption field
- Click the Authentication tab.
**Note: If the Authentication tab does not appear, you do not have SP3 installed. You will need to take your computer to the Information Technology department (downstairs of Hoke building).
- Select Protected EAP (PEAP) from the EAP type dropdown menu and uncheck Authenticate as computer when computer information is available. Then, click the Properties button.
- In the "Protected EAP Properties" window:
- Deselect Validate server certificate
- In the Select Authentication Method field, select Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
- In the "Select Authentication Method" section, click the Configure button.
- Uncheck Automatically use my Windows logon name and password, then click the OK button.
- Click the OK button on all open Wireless Properties windows.
- Click the information bubble in the taskbar to input other credentials for the connection.
- Enter your Catawba username in the User name field and your Catawba password in the Password field. Leave the Logon domain field blank. Click the OK button.
- When you see the message in the bubble below, you are now successfully connected to the secure Catawba wireless network.
If you were unable to connect with these instructions, you can bring your computer to the Information Technology department (downstairs of Hoke) and we will assist you in connecting.